Monday, May 25, 2009

Shoes, School, and back to the states


Things are moving along pretty quickly for us now. We are getting ready to make some big changes at the Colton home. Hanee has been growing and reaching important milestones all the time. (She still hasn’t reached the 10 kilo mark, but she’s getting close). The last couple of months have been filled with lots of first for Hanee, as well as some other exciting developments. My favorite development so far is her talking. She’s been saying stuff for a while now, and we talk to her all the time but she never really repeated what we said. A few months ago that changed. Here is a list of the words she can say, and understand.

Say
In English
“No”
“Fishy” (fish)
“Ball”

In Korean
“신발” sinbal – Shoes (This was the first word that she said other than mommy/daddy/food)
“멍멍이” mung mung ee – Puppy (also the sound a dog makes in Korean)
“엄마” omma – Mommy
“아빠” appa - Daddy
“마마” mama – Food (This is not the regular Korean word for food, just baby talk)
“물” moeul – Water
“부바” buba – piggy back (Korean baby talk)
“이 것” ee geot – This thing?
“뭐야” mo ya – What is this? (the full sentence is “이 것 뭐야” of “what is this?” but most of the time she just uses one or the other)
“없다/없어” opda – All gone (The Korean literally means “something does not exists”) she is really smart about this and if you tell her that something is “opda” she understands that its gone now.

Understand – everything above plus some simple Korean (I know I know she’s working on the English but I’m not home much during the day)
“Come here”
“Bring me _____”
“Give this to _____ (mom/dad/aunt)
“Sit down”
“Stand up”
“Lets go”
“Time to eat”
“Milk”
“Kimbap” (rice and seaweed)
“Bath time”
“Give _____ a hug”
“Give _____ a kiss”
“Give _____ a pat on the back”
“You’ll be okay / Everything’s okay”
“Don’t touch that”
“That will hurt you”/”Ouch”
“Lay down”
“Go to sleep”
“Lets read”
“Book”

I’m sure there is much more but that’s what I could come up with for right now.
As for Chris, I’m getting ready for school. I had to take two online classes, I’ve finished both of them and now have a little more time to relax. School starts in August but we will be heading to Utah the end of June. June 29th to be exact. I’m really looking forward to being an American again. Its strange but a lot of times I don’t feel like an American while I’m here. I hang out with Americans but work with all Koreans. Lots of times I don’t think of my self as a typical American, even though I do lots of American type things while in Korea… I don’t know hard to explain. I there are lots of things I like about being in Korea, and then there are things that really bug me (driving/traffic). I’m excited to move, we have a little over a month to go. I our stuff will be shipped out on June 3rd, and we will get it some time in July. Then it’s “bye, bye” to the land of the morning calm. I’m not sure how long it will be until will be until we come back to Korea. But I’m sure we will be back some time. (At least to visit ^^).

4 comments:

Megs said...

Hanee looks like such a big girl all of a sudden! It's hard to believe she's the same age as Mason. Maybe it has something to do with all her hair. Or the fact that Hanee's actually talking like crazy, and Mason, well, he's not...

See Mack Snow said...

yay for people moving to utah!

And happy birthday last week, by the way. :)

DaeSung said...

Megan - Thats funny, I always see Mason on your blog and think that he is older... maybe it has something to do with being someone else's baby. (And he gets to do fun stuff like camping).

Kenzie - Yay for birthday cake ^^

Megan and Keli'i said...

Hey Chris, we're going private on our blog. Leave me your email address, so we can stay in touch! Hope all is well!